what to do about/with split packs?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Niki Hammond 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

jon bates

in our first game my younger brother won the jam (and subsequently the game) by 1 point by splitting the pack to get his pivot across the pivot line first.

from this:

to this:

have you guys come up with any house rules to deal with a split pack?

July 13, 2012 at 9:51 pm #404

Niki

I can’t see the images in your post, but it sounds to me like the move would have had to have been illegal. Under Pack Definition from the official rules:

Blockers must not move to any tile that leaves them out-of-play at the start of the Jammer’s move.

A “split pack” or destroyed pack effectively means that none of the blockers are in play, therefore it was an illegal move.

July 13, 2012 at 11:12 pm #405

Eric

Does this mean that proximity is required (a) only after all four blockers have moved, or (b) during each blocker movement? That is, could (a) my first three blockers split the pack as long as the fourth blocker’s movement puts the pack back together? Or must (b) my first blocker stay in proximity? The wording “at the start of the Jammer’s move” makes it sound like  the answer is (a), but I want to make sure.

July 15, 2012 at 4:05 pm #407

Niki Hammond
    Key Master

What you described in (a) is correct. The OOP status is evaluated after you’ve moved all four of your blockers.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by  Niki Hammond. Reason: changed "legality" to "OOP status" so this isn't taken out of context
    July 16, 2012 at 10:17 am #411

jon bates

not sure why the images didn’t work. sorry about that.

thanks for clearing that up.

July 20, 2012 at 5:51 pm #421

Wesley

What if a blue blocker is hit out of bounds by white blocker then on the blue team’s turn moves back into play and is still in the pack even with other blue blockers moving up track. Then on white team’s turn through blocking and forward skating leaves that blocker out of play and when white team finally moves their jammer the out of play blue blocker is in the path of the white jammer

July 20, 2012 at 10:27 pm #422

Niki Hammond
    Key Master

The white jammer can either push the blue blocker back out of bounds (from your description, it would be on a tile near the track border) or if it’s in the middle of the track, skate right through it as it would a friendly.

July 20, 2012 at 11:27 pm #424

Wesley

Okay that clears it up thanks! In this case the blue blocker that was not in the pack was on the strategic diamond.

July 24, 2012 at 9:58 am #480

RawShark

The legality of the move is evaluated after you’ve moved all four of your blockers.

Does this statement apply to assessing legality of OOP blocks?

For instance, Purple Blocker is OOP ahead of the pack at the start of Green Player’s turn. Can a Green Blocker legally engage the OOP Purple Blocker, as long as the Purple Blocker is in-play before the Green Jammer moves? (What if the Purple Blocker goes OOB?)
    Alternatively, is blocking legality assessed at the time of the block?

Blockers must not move to any tile that leaves them out-of-play at the start of the Jammer’s move.

Does this mean that it is not legal to block all skaters from the opposing team OOB in a single turn?

July 24, 2012 at 3:20 pm #483

Niki Hammond
    Key Master

RawShark– no, that statement doesn’t apply to assessing the legality of OOP blocks. I edited my reply to add context. It was written in response to the original question about split packs, not blocking.

In answer to your question, the first sentence under Blocking reads:

Skaters may end a move by pushing an opposing in-play skater one tile in the same direction, so long as the following tile is vacant or out-of-bounds.

If you have other questions, please start a new topic so it’s easy for others to find if they have the same question. Thanks!

September 15, 2012 at 1:17 am #666

Bam-Bam

My husband and I are disputing the definition of the pack when attempting to determine if a blocker is moving out of play. For instance, is “bridging” legal?  Black b1 moves ahead (three spaces) of the foremost pack member.  Black B2 then attempts to move along a vector that ends up placing him 3 spaces ahead of Black B1 (who is still a pack member by definition) which makes them (Black B2) 3 spaces within a pack member and THEREFORE, a pack member themself. Are you with me so far? So then, technically B2 is now foremost pack member. Can I then move my B3 along a vector (assuming there are no opposing Blockers in the way) placing them three spaces in front  Black B2? And so on and so fourth?

October 17, 2012 at 10:01 pm #815

Niki Hammond
    Key Master

Bam-Bam: Sorry you had to wait a month for an answer!! yes, what you’re describing is legal. As long as at the END of your blockers’ moves everyone is in proximity, you’re good.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘what to do about/with split packs?’ is closed to new replies.